Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My week of sewing

Sometimes Tom travels a lot for work. It all has to do with his radar projects and which ones need personal supervision. Currently he's working on setting up and testing radar systems in Alaska. Since I can't go with him, I find myself with a lot of quilting time! This is good, and bad--it gets very quiet at home with just Taz the cat for company.

Here are two projects finished this week. The bear is from a pattern in Eleanor Burn's book "Christmas at Bear's Paw Ranch." I made it out of an old quilt top that was given to me, along with a lot of fabric, when I helped a littl' ol' lady clean out her storage unit. She never finished the quilt and as I attempted to do that, I could see why. It was wonky and misshapen. Quilting didn't improve it, and I realized if I tried trimming off the bad parts, I'd probably end up with nothing left! So..patchwork bears might be just the thing. What do YOU do with cutter quilts?




The quilt is from a kit and the top was finished last year, before Christmas. I dug it out of my UFO pile. The squares with the birds aren't appliqued, but rather printed on the fabric. The rest is pieced.

I have one more project to finish up, a Christmas quilt made of triangles. It just needs borders and since Tom won't be home until tomorrow (weather permitting), I should be able to accomplish that and maybe even get it in the frame for quilting!

1 comment:

Judy D in WA said...

Hi Yvonne
I think your teddy bear is stunning. I love his blue eyes. I've never been lucky enough to acquire a cutter quilt. Alone time to quilt is pretty good, as long as it is only for a few days at a time.