Monday, November 2, 2009

Wheeler and Wilson Treadle

My husband loves yard sales and Craig's List. However, he doesn't just look for goodies for himself. Nope, nice fellow that he is, he finds surprises for me a well. Check out this latest toy! It cost him all of $15.




It's a Wheeler and Wilson treadle. W&W was the big sewing machine manufacturer before Singer took over. Actually, Singer bought them out in the early 1900's. This machine is a #9. There's a gold seal on it, with it's serial number, the company name, location (Bridgeport, Connecticut) and "patented Mar. 25th, '90--Aug. 2, '92." Of course that's 1890 and 1892. It's in useable shape, but lacking a few parts. I've located new needles, an extra bobbin, but still need the belt for the treadle. The hunt continues! Meanwhile, it's pretty to look at!

My grandmother had a treadle machine. My sister ended up with it; "gutted" it and turned it into a planter. As always, I don't know what she was thinking!

No comments: