Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bag challenge

I have a quilt friend named Helen. She lives in Scotland. We have been to her house and stayed with her family, which makes her even more special to me. Helen is a member of the British Quilters List and this year they are having a bag challenge. Every month there will be a new pattern for the members and if you make that one and post a photo of it, you get the password which will get you the next's month's pattern. Here is a link to the blog about it.

http://bqlbagblog.blogspot.com/

As I am a fan of reusuable shopping bags, I think this is a wonderful idea. But..how to play too? I'm not British. I don't live in the U.K. However, I joined the group anyway, planning on lying low and "lurking," so no one would say with a gasp, "Who let that AMERICAN in here?" Sigh. My well laid plan was shot down, however, when Helen "outed" me with the group. They are all friendly and welcoming, of course! Here is a photo of the bag I've made for January.
A nice thing about this bag; see that purple pocket? The bag folds up to fit inside it's own wee pocket, rather like a Quillow. It can easily be tucked into my purse and when I need a shopping bag, there it is!

The only problem with the pattern is that it calls for a plastic grocery bag to be used as a template. I had a difficult time finding one in our house, since we've been using cloth bags for quite some time now. I finally spotted one hanging in a corner of the broomcloset, filled with the skinny plastic bags that our newspaper sometimes comes in--to keep the paper dry from the rain. (I don't know why Tom is saving those, as they are too narrow for any practical purpose other than for the newspaper) I was able to use that grocery bag as the pattern, but as I had to cut the bottom off, it is now useless for storing Tom's skinny plastic newspaper bags in. Ooh dear! Maybe I need to make another bag to put those in?

7 comments:

Nana's Quilts said...

Nice bag and what a good idea to have it fold up inside the pocket. For those long newspaper bags, I have found that they are great to stick in your suitcase for shoes. I have a couple in my bag for the muddy, yukky shoes that I don't want floating around with the rest of my clothing/gear. So I just keep a couple down in the bottom of the suitcase. Just a thought.

Marne

Yvonne said...

Thanks! The bag was very easy to make, just use a plastic grocery bag as the pattern and add a 6 inch by 9 inch pocket, front and center near the bottom.

I think Tom does use the skinny newspaper bags for shoes when he travels, except...he doesn't have hundreds of feet! I kid you not, we have a mega-supply of those bags! I think I need to limit him on how many dozens of them he can save. LOL

scraphappy said...

What a great bag, I'm going to make one of my own. Is the pocket lined so that the raw edges don't stick out when yo turn and tuck?

Liz said...

Dad is a freak! He must have some kind of compulsion to save things that no other human being would want. AHAHAHAA! Very funny.

Yvonne said...

Yes, Scraphappy, the pocket is lined--two 6 inch by 9 inch rectangles, sewn right sides together, then turned right side out--the raw edge on the bottom gets sewn up when you sew the bottom of the bag.

Ooh Lizzy, I guess you are right about your father! But we love him anyway!!! (let's not even go into MY obsessions...saving all these bits of fabric! YIKES!) LOL

Tracey in CT said...

Thanks for sharing this picture, I went over and joined the BQL myself, and made a bag yesterday. Did I understand correctly that the bottom is done as a French Seam? I had trouble figuing that out and think I did it incorrectly. No matter, my bag works anyway :-)

Yvonne said...

Hi Tracy! I wasn't sure about finishing the bottom of the bag either and I suspect I didn't do it quite right...but it works! I can fold it up just fine, so I'm not going to worry about it. :-) Glad you joined the group! I am lurking...LOL