Wednesday, January 30, 2008

President Hinkley




On Sunday, our beloved prophet and president of the church, Gordon B. Hinkley, passed away. He was 97 years old. A goodly span of years. I've been thinking of him this week and how joyous the reunion in heaven must have been when he got there--but feeling sorry for the rest of us, I know how deeply he will be missed. He had a loving way of sharing the gospel with the world, as well as quite a sense of humor. A few years ago when his doctor told him he needed to start carrying a cane, he did just that. He carried it. He didn't USE it. He carried it! That gave me a laugh when I saw the photos.

Here is one of my favorite quotes from President Hinkley: "The time has come for us to stand a little taller, to lift our eyes and stretch our minds to greater comprehension and understanding of the grand millenial mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
This is the time to be strong.
It is a time to move forward without hesitation....
It is a time to do what is right regardless of the consequences that might follow.
It is a season to reach out with kindness and love to those in distress and to those who are wandering in darkness and pain.
It is a time to be considerate and good, decent and courteous toward one another...In other words, to become more Christlike."

Do you stick things on your fridge--like photos, pictures kids have drawn...or quotes that make you feel better when you read them? I do. Here is a quote, author unknown, that I have there: "You were generals in the War in Heaven and one day, when you are in the spirit world, you will be enthralled by those you are associated with. You will ask someone in which time period they lived and you might hear, "I was with Moses when he parted the Red Sea," or "I helped build the pyramids," or "I fought with Captain Moroni." And as you are standing there in amazement, someone will turn to you and ask you which of the prophets' time did you live in. And when you say "Gordon B. Hinkley," a hush will fall over every all and corridor in Heaven, and all in attendance will bow at your presence. You were held back six thousand years because you were the most talented, most obedient, most courageous, and most righteous. Are you still? Remember who you are."

I hope that will be the legacy I'll carry from President Hinkley. To remember who I am, and to strive to be a better person.

No comments: