Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Frieda Learns to Quilt

Frieda asked me if I'd show her how to quilt while they were visiting us for the holiday. She and Jeff have a friend who just had a little boy. She wants to give the baby a quilt. What a fun first project! I made up a notebook for her, with a simple baby quilt pattern and a few other helpful hints. Here are photos of her, as she made her first quilt.




Showing the quilt to Jeff, who was very impressed:

"I'm a QUILTER!!!"

Machine quilting with the Grace Frame, first a sample, then the real thing:


Putting on the binding:


What Jeff was doing while Frieda was quilting:

Taz wants to help!

A quilt is not a quilt without cat hair on it. Such is the rule at our house. Taz knows what her job is around here.

FINISHED!!!

Jeff again:


Yesterday Frieda, Jeff and I stopped at my local quilt shop. Jeff had been lured out, thinking we were just going to the grocery store. HA! (I was driving, btw) We did go to the grocery store, but the quilt shop was first on our list. Frieda found some fabric for her next quilt and when we got home, headed straight for my quilting room, where she spent the afternoon making the top. Can we say "gotcha?" Another person bitten by the quilt bug!

I'm sending her home with two trashbags full of fabric as well as other goodies (patterns, rulers, cutting mat, rotary cutter etc) to help her with her new addiction. Fabricaholic and Quilter.... :-) It makes a mother(inlaw)proud. Look what Frieda did over her Christmas vacation! She is a natural.

17 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Good for you for helping Frieda get going on quilting! and good for Frieda for being willing!

Sweet P said...

Ah yes, a quilter is born. She looks so happy with her quilts. I love the pink and brown quilt.

D2Quilter said...

Good Job Yvonne!!! Great to meet another LDS Quilter. Where in Utah do your kids live? Are they going to the Y?

Hazel said...

You have a beautiful family .Freida looks so happy and proud of her finished quilt .What a joy it must be to have someone to quilt with

Liz said...

Wow, Mama! Frieda's quilts are so cute! I can't believe she was able to finish one in just a few days. Of course, it must've been handy to use your Grace thingy. Maybe next Christmas you could teach me?

Yvonne said...

Wow! Look at all the comments! d2Quilter, hello LDS quilter! Nice to see you! My kiddos live in Salt Lake City, but they don't go to the Y.
Thanks, Hazel. Yes, they are cuties--unfortunately Frieda lives too far away for us to get in much quilty trouble together. Alas!
LIZZY! Of course I'd teach you how to quilt! And this means you'll be here next Christmas? That would be wonderful!!!

Yvonne said...

oops. I missed two. Debra and Sweet p.! Nice to see you both here as well. It was a lot of fun helping Frieda get addicted to quilting--and ooh so easy. LOL Actually, Paula, that's a pink and black quilt, not brown--the colors don't show up that well in the photo. Pink and brown would have been pretty too...

Anonymous said...

So Cool! That's what I love most about quilters, as a general rule we love to share what we know. You are a lucky MIL with and even luckier DIL.

Sheila from stashbusters

Nancy E said...

Yeah!!!!! One more quilter to share the fun! That's a great pattern to start with and so nice that she was able to machine quilt it (that's my scariest part and I've been quilting since 1978!--- Of course, it's only on my sewing machine, not a LAQ). Good Job Frieda!

Tamera said...

Congratulations on infecting your DDIL with the quilting bug!

How wonderful!

Nana's Quilts said...

Excellent 'outreach' there. We need to keep up the troop numbers. :-) And I love her new quilts. I saw that quilt just today for the first time. I think it's just as cute as can be. A wonderful first project. And which quilt store did you visit as you were out and about?

Thanks for your note on my blog. Keep in touch.
Marne

Yvonne said...

The quilt shop we visited is called Pieces. What a great name! I love saying.."I'm going to PIECES!" LOL

Shannon & Richard said...

Yay! Quilting is fun! The Grace frame is so cool - you're lucky to have it :)

I really appreciated all the ladies who helped me learn to quilt, and it's fun to see it still going strong. You're a pretty cool MIL!!

And I promise to post more quilt pictures to my blog when I get them done...I am waiting for a new walking foot to arrive, my old one broke and has stalled a few projects :)

swooze said...

Oh good for her. And you! She did a great job. Now if only I had access to a quilting machine....

Marilyn Robertson said...

What fun! The more quilters the merrier!

Tracey in CT said...

Yay! It looks like Frieda had a great time and a good teacher! The dinosaur fabric she used is adorable!

aaron and allee said...

Oh, I loved your note about Taz!