Monday, January 21, 2008

Home again!

For the last two weeks, Tom and I have been in Bend, Oregon. While he was working on the FAA radar at the airport in Redmond, poor me--nothing to do but lounge around the Riverhouse Hotel, with it's hot tub, swimming pool and exercise room. (which I did use every day) I took along my little Janome, as well as the 50 fat quarters Tom gave me for Christmas. The pattern I used was from the Jan/Feb. 2004 issue of Love of Quilting magazine. Nothing left now but adding borders and then quilting it!


The weather was face-freezingly cold most of the time and as the sidewalks were mostly covered in ice, I didn't get out much. There were some stores across the street that I slipped and slid to a couple of times. One day I called a taxi and had him drive me to a quilt shop. But mostly, I stayed in and sewed! No phone ringing, no elaborate dinner preparations---a nice relaxing time.

Tom had Sunday off, so after we went to church, we climbed Pilot Butte--a cinder cone in the middle of Bend, that affords a good view of the surrounding town as well as the snow-capped mountain peaks in the distance.


On the way out of town, heading home and trying to beat the "coldest weather of the season" that was moving into the Bend area, we stopped briefly at Smith Rock state park. What a beautiful area that is! People come from all over for rock climbing, but it also has trails to hike around on. Next time we come, we've decided we need to make time to do just that.

3 comments:

Marilyn Robertson said...

Your quilt is a beauty! What a great way to make the time fly when you are out of town and it is sooo cold outside!

Creekside Cabin said...

Wow! Beautiful quilt :)

Liz said...

The quilt is nice, but I really like your last picture! What a beautiful area.