Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Quilt tops for Thing 1 and Thing 2

My friend, Melanie, is in the hospital, pregnant with twin girls. You can check out her blog, in my Favorite Blogs list, there on the right, for futher details and even ultrasound photos of the girls. She's due about a week or so before Frieda, which is sometime in October. Melanie is one of my favorite people! Well, actually I have a LOT of favorite people, but I swear, Melanie is right up there near the top of the list. Really! She is funny and sweet--and has a very positive attitude about her current situation, which is more than a little scary if you ask me.... Lots to admire there. As if all this isn't enough to point out just how wonderful, courageous and terrific Melanie is, she's also a QUILTER! I suspect her developing into a QuiltAholic stemmed from her association with me as I have done my best to encourage her tendancies in that direction. Poor Mel. Yes...quilting is contagious. Be warned.

Melanie really wants Dr. Seuss themed quilts for her twins, but found that Dr. Seuss fabric is hard to come by. I found a yard being bid for on ebay and it was up to $27.00. YIKES! And that wasn't even the final price! Fond as I am of Melanie, that was too much for me, even though I admit to a few moments of insanity where I was tempted. Melanie managed to find some 4 inch squares of Cat in the Hat fabric on ebay, as well as three hospital "scrubs" that were Dr. Seuss prints. I took the scrubs apart and cut them into 4 inch squares. Here are the quilt tops that results from all that cutting:
There are even left over squares!
Melanie is going to hand quilt the quilts, as well as see what she can come up with, using the left over squares, while she is stuck in the hospital, lounging in her purple recliner. She'd better enjoy this life of leisure while she can. Once the twins are born and she takes them home..that's it for getting any rest!

6 comments:

Mavie_q said...

I love them!!!!

Rhonda said...

What a wonderful friend you are and those quilts are adorable. Great job!

Yvonne said...

Thanks! BTW, Rhonda...I like your crown. Queen of Everything, I'm asssuming?

Joan said...

They both turned out great and I like the color choices. Now a certain red and while polka dot skirt is safe...

Yvonne said...

Hmm...not necessarily, Joan...that skirt would look verrrrrry nice on ME! Bruhahahahaaa!!!

Nicole & Phil said...

these quilts are fabulous..andI love the names you have given them...absolutely perfect!
I hope she is resting well!