Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Gratitude

With Thanksgiving this week, I've been thinking about all the blessings in my life. My family, friends, good health, a home to live in, a beautiful world to explore, activities I am passionate about and enjoy, and most of all, faith that God is in heaven and all is right with the world. Okay, maybe not all that "right," but He is in charge and I know things work out the way they are supposed to--according to a greater plan. His. Not mine. Many things are delegated to the "beyond my control" department because of that faith. That is such a relief when I feel overwhelmed. I can only do my best and hope it is enough. Sometimes it isn't. That is just the way of things. But life really IS good! Sometimes I forget that. In the "For the Strength of the Youth" pamphlet (given out to LDS teenagers, but good advice in there for everyone) it says "The Lord wants you to have a spirit of gratitude in all you do and say. Live with a spirit of thanksgiving and you will have greater happiness and satisfaction in life. Even in your most difficult times, you can find much to be grateful for. Doing so will strengthen and bless you."

That is obvious, we are happier when we think of our blessings, rather than dwell on our problems. A slight from a friend, a misspoken word, can turn from a molehill into a mountain if we think about it long and hard enough. What is the point of that? I know I am happier when I appreciate the blessings in my life, be it a new yard of fabric, a RAQ (Random Act of Quiltiness) received in the mail from a friend, a hug from a loved one, the smile of a child, and especially, right now--the thought of Jeff and Frieda coming all the way from Utah tomorrow! It will be wonderful to have them here, and I am extremely grateful for that.

Here's one last quote from the pamphlet I am pondering: "You can also express gratitude to the Lord by the way you live. When you keep His commandments and serve others, you show that you love Him and are grateful to Him. Express appreciation to everyone who helps you in any way."

Another nice idea. It reminds me of a quote I read somewhere, years ago--which I probably won't quote exactly right, but it went something like this, "I read in a book that a man named Jesus who went about doing good. It is very disconcerting to me that I am so easily satisfied with just going about."

Are we satisfied with "just going about?"


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments: