Saturday, November 17, 2007

Small Friend


This is HaiLee. HaiLee is 7 years old. I am 54. Yet HaiLee, who is not related to me at all, knows I am her friend. How did this happen?
Earlier this week I got a phone call from her. HaiLee and her family; two brothers and an older sister, just live up the street from us. Seems HaiLee's brother was going to celebrate his 8th birthday with a sleepover. The house was going to be filled with lots of "icky boys." HaiLee asked if she could come over here and stay the night. I was surprised, but flattered that she would rather hang out with us (my husband and me) than spending the night with one of her friends. But wait, I AM one of her friends! This strikes me as sweet, but funny and I have been thinking about how this came about. I've had little kids--besides my own offspring, nieces and nephews--like me before. In the past, those children have been in my class at church and I am "teacher" to them. But HaiLee has never been in my Primary class. She was, however, one of the dozens of babies at church whom I gifted with a quilt at birth. She loved that quilt and took it with her to daycare where, when she was about 4 yrs old, someone stole it. She was devastated and when I heard---well, of course, I made her a new one. But bigger...since she was bigger by then. She was thrilled to have it and still tells me it is her "favorite blanket."

I think what caused HaiLee to see me as a friend, rather than just another friendly adult in our church family, was due to what happened after she fell out of a tree and broke her leg, about a year and a half ago. When it was time to have her cast changed, HaiLee's mother was very pregnant and unable to do any lifting--like lifting HaiLee onto the examination table. She asked a mutual friend to come along to help at the appointment, but when that friend had something come up--I was asked to do it. No problem! I found out that, besides lifting--I got to wash off HaiLee's leg before the new cast was put on. I hadn't realized what an extremely stinky undertaking that would be. All that sweat and dead skin made it pretty gross, but I did a good job with her leg and before the new cast went on, it was smelling nearly as sweetly as the rest of her. She was relieved as it had been very itchy. That was a turning point in our relationship and since then, sometimes on Sundays, she asks if she can sit with us during church. Her parents don't mind and she is very well behaved.
So...last night was our "sleepover." What fun to have a normal little girl around! I'd forgotten what a 7 year old is like. The last "normal" 7 year old we had around here is now 25 years old and living in Utah! At Tom's suggestion, we had a Shrek Marathon, watching all three Shrek movies, one right after another. HaiLee was delighted. (I had the weirdest dreams last night! I think I've been Shrekked...) This morning after breakfast, HaiLee asked if I'd play with her. We had some fun with Liz's dollhouse and HaiLee was very nice to it. I told her how Liz used to let her hamsters and gerbils run loose in the house. I don't know if I remember how to play---but we talked a lot, mostly with me listening--and I think that is what HaiLee likes. someone paying attention to just her. She kept thanking us for letting her stay and said she wished she had five more days to stay with us!
All in all, it was fun....and good practice for "someday" when we have grandchildren.

No comments: