Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Hitty and Friends



Last summer, when I was making doll clothes for my sister's approaching 60th birthday (she is really into Barbie and other dolls), I was looking around on the internet and came across a group of Hitty-fans. Hitty is a small wooden doll from a book by Rachel Fields. I remember reading that book when I was a little girl. It is about a little wooden doll and all her adventures. At the time it made perfect sense to me, that she would be writing her biography like that. I always has a suspicion that my toys came to life while I was asleep! The ladies in the group collect Hittys, dress them and even more amazing, some even carve the dolls themselves! Their Hittys travel around quite a bit, getting their photos taken in different locations. For some reason, I found this appealing and decided to join the group. The second photo here is my first ever carved Hitty. Yes, I carved her from wood myself and managed to keep all my fingers intact! Poor thing, she lost her nose three times before I gave up and called her done. As you can see, she still has kind of a square look about her. She was my contribution to the Traditional Hittys Halloween Swap and the gal who received her was very kind with her comments about my efforts. I am having fun with this group. We do lots of swaps of miniature things that we make, not all carved dolls, thank goodness! I found, when making those doll clothes for Sis, that I like sewing the wee clothing and quilts! I also like furnishing the doll house that Hitty lives in. My "main" Hitty is from a kit--not carved, all I had to do was paint her. Her name is Hitty Liz, named of course after daughter, Liz. If Hitty Liz has at least half the adventures that the REAL Liz does, she will be well traveled indeed. Hitty Liz has her own park ranger outfit, although I haven't mastered the Smokey the Bear hat yet. She might remain hatless, poor thing. The other photo here is of the Hittys, who have moved into my younger daughter's doll house (might as well play with it since it is here, right? That's my excuse anyway) Hitty Liz is sitting at the table on the right. The Hitty I received in the Halloween Swap is at the table to the left. Notice she has a very nice nose and doesn't look square like mine did. I was lucky enough to get a Hitty from an experienced carver! So what is ahead for Hitty Liz? She has traveled to Redmond, Oregon....to Mt. Laguna, California...and is looking ahead to a real adventure not related to traveling to radar sites when we tag along with Tom and his job. We are going hiking in the Swiss Alps! I am looking forward to that, as we will be with the REAL Liz! Now if I can just figure out a wee backpack for Hitty Liz and some other hiking gear..hmmmmm If this is the start of my second childhood, that's fine. It is a good distraction from some of the low points in my life right now.

2 comments:

Liz said...

That's right. SWITZERLAND here we come!

Anonymous said...

Yvonne! What wonderful pictures of your Hittys! SO glad you joined Hittygirls!!