Friday, June 27, 2008

In Memory of Jennie

Jennie Sherlock was one of my cyber quilt buddies. I think I'd known her for at least 10 years, from one online group to another. It's kind of funny about online friends, sometimes I tell them things I don't tell friends that I see on a daily or weekly basis---is it just easier to "talk" to a computer screen? Maybe for me it is. I have shared heartaches with these gals, as well as the sunny times of my life. They have done the same. I feel very close to my cyber quilt buddies and it was such a fantastic experience to finally meet some of them at our gathering in 2007. There were only 17 of us attending, including Jennie who came all the way from Australia! We had a great time, quilting...talking...shopping at local quilt shops...and talking some more. I am so glad I got to go! Here's the group that came to our 2007 gathering:
Jennie was a talented hand quilter and did beautiful work. She liked bright colors. Unfortunately, the breast cancer she'd battled earlier, came back and this time, she lost the fight, leaving us in April of this year. It really shook me to have her gone. Next year we're having another gathering, here in my hometown. I decided at our Jamboree last time, that I'd be sure to be able to go to one if it was HERE, so I started my campaign before we even left! I guess that makes me the hostess of this party we are planning. I'm taking care of arranging things, like the hotel accomodations---along with a wonderful committee working on some of the activities we're planning. It will be a sweet time, but there will be sadness too, because Jennie won't be here with us.
I thought it would be nice to have a quilty challenge, where anyone who wants to (even those not able to come to our gathering) can make a quilt--or more that one--to donate to breast cancer patients here in my area. In memory of Jennie. I know she'd be pleased! When she was first diagnosed with cancer, we all made blocks and a comfort quilt was put together for her. She loved that quilt, a tangible symbol of our love and friendship, and took it with her to her chemo treatments. Here is the quilt top I'm working on for the Jennie Quilt Challenge. I'm thinking it needs borders, but haven't decided on what color. What do YOU think?

9 comments:

sewnut said...

great quilt Yvonne! it will definately bring positive cheer and good spirits to someone. Jenny would be thrilled

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful cheerful quilt Yvonne!!

Did you audition a border strata of 1 inch Jenny Orange and then about 4 inches of Jenny Green?

Diana

Aileen said...

I agree with Diana, but I had the orange as the main border. However, the recipient might prefer green.

Rhonda said...

Bless your heart. Friends are precious and losing one always leaves a hole in ones heart. I have a special friend with cancer and try to see or speak with her often.

Susan Freebery said...

I just know that whatever color you choose, it will be perfect. Simply perfect.

Mel C said...

Great quilt! I vote for bright green and yellow borders :) You always seem to create something spectacular! :)

Lori in South Dakota said...

recognize the photos from the files. What a wonderful way to remember and honor a friend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Yvonne,
I'm Jennie's daughter and on a whim, i googled mum and came up with your post - lovely words and such a lovely thing to do. Although, she would say you need more greens and oranges...!!
Jess

Yvonne said...

Hi Jess! Glad you stopped by. I'll put a wee orange border, and a larger lime green border on the quilt then! Thanks for helping me decide. :-) Check back later after Quilt Jamboree in April 2009 and I'll have a post with ALL the quilts we're going to donate in your Mum's memory. We all feel blessed at having had her in our lives---quite a gal, your Mum!