Saturday, November 15, 2008

More Baby Goodies


Here's a fun baby quilt I just finished, being held up by my loyal and overworked Quilt-holder-upper, Tom. Oddly enough, it isn't for our new granddaughter. I must be slipping, eh? This one is for a friend who is going to have a daughter in a few weeks.

But don't worry, I'm not neglecting Aurora! Here is a project I just finished for her---a set of fabric baby blocks. The pattern is from BH&G "Quilts And Gifts to Give," 2008. Very easy to do---the sides of the blocks are 3 inch squares. Sew four of them together in a row, then connect them on one end to make a "box" with no top or bottom. Be sure to use a 1/4 inch seam allowance when you sew. Start your sewing 1/4 inch in and stop 1/4 inch from the end. This will make it a lot easier to sew the top and bottom of the blocks on. Add another 3 inch square on each end but be sure to leave a gap in one seam, so you can turn the blocks right side out! If you go to www.allpeoplequilt.com/061, you can get the patterns for the letters, which are sewn on with a buttonhole stitch. I traced the letters on a fusible web first, then ironed them to the fabric I was using, cut out the letters and ironed them onto the 3 inch squares. As you can see, the blocks can spell out Aurora! I added enough letters for other important words: Mama, Daddy, Jeff, Frieda. It was fun finding novelty fabric in my stash, with animals and other cute images for the sides of the blocks without letters.

I made enough blocks to fit in a cake carrier from WalMart. It has a nice snap on lid as well as carrying handles.

4 comments:

sewnut said...

Very cute blocks. I love them.

Mary said...

The blocks are adorable!

Anonymous said...

I am also making these blocks from BHG magazine but I can only get this site when I put in allpeoplequilt.com/061 I need the pattern for the letters. please post what I am doing wrong

thanks

Yvonne said...

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projects-ideas/baby-quilts/color-cubes_1.html

Go there and click on "download this project." It won't give you the whole project, just the pattern for the letters. You need Adobe Acrobat to open the file. Hope it works for you!