Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Quilting Assistant














This is Taz. Taz, as you can see, likes quilts. Earlier this week I was finishing up the quilting on a quilt from a kindergarten class when Taz decided sitting on the back of the quilting frame wasn't enough. She wanted to be up closer. I was down at one end of the rolled up quilt, starting the thread---and was very surprised to look over at the other end and see Taz stomping across the quilt at me! She hasn't done that before, preferring to sit on the back and watch what I was doing. The sewing machine, of course, rolls across the back as I quilt, so sometimes she has to move. She squeaks, then perches herself at the farthest end where the machine doesn't reach, her back to me and her ears folded downward. Obviously irritated.

Here is a photo of the kindergarten quilts, all finished. I'll have to take a better photo, maybe with Tom holding them up. As you can see, Taz had to stomp around on them again. The quilts are for an auction next month. My friend, a kindergarten teacher, has two classes: morning and afternoon. Each class has to come up with something to auction off, as a fund raiser for the school. She came up with the idea of quilts. I like the way she thinks! The children colored on muslin squares, the squares were heat-set with an iron, and then I turned them into quilts. I loved looking at all the drawings the kids did.

2 comments:

Liz said...

You've got the most adorable quilt-tester. But I don't know if that 6pound, soft footed, cute, little kitten can actually "stomp" on anything.

Yvonne said...

Try 3 a.m., sound asleep, with all of her 8 lbs.(she's gained some weight, obviously!) walking across your bladder--it certainly feels like stomping! But you are probably right, she doesn't really stomp. More of a..what? Not a delicate ballet, that's for sure. I'll post another Taz photo, Liz, so you can go "Ahhhh...isn't she cute?" LOL