Tuesday, December 2, 2008

50 Fat Quarter Quilt


On a quilty note, here's the latest quilt finished. For the last two Christmases, one of the gifts Tom has given me has been a box with fifty fat quarters in it. For non-quilters who might be reading this, a "fat quarter" isn't a body part. ;-) It is a piece of fabric that is 18 inches by 22 inches--a more useable shape than a quarter of a yard of fabric (which would be 9 inches by 44 inches) I think it's pretty impressive, that Tom would go to the quilt shop by himself, wander around, and pick out fabric! Fat quarters are already cut and ready to go, but still, for a man....a non-quilter...that's pretty good! Ahhh, but here is a man who knows what I like! FABRIC! The first year, I used up the fat quarters randomly. One here, one there, until they were all gone (sigh!) This last year, though, I decided to use them all in one quilt. I got the pattern from Fon's and Porter's "Love of Quilting" magazine. It is in the January/February 2004 issue and is called the Barbara Frietschi Star. It actually calls for fifty fat quarters. I added a neutral for background in the stars, but other than that, the top is made only of those fat quarters--including the borders and the binding!

4 comments:

Suzassippi said...

I found your site through your comment on my friend Jane's blog (Jane Says, Unalaska). I love quilts, so thought I would check your site. Enjoyed the slide show of quilts (and the new grand daughter!)

Yvonne said...

Does that mean you know my quilting buddy, Judi, too? Thanks for stopping by--and for the nice comments. :-)

Suzassippi said...

I've been to Dutch, but not met Judi yet. She and Jane did not work together when I visited. I hope to go in August this year, though, so should meet her then.

I can remember helping my grandmothers quilt as a child, and our neighbor "Great Ma" would let us help her.

Yvonne said...

Give Judi a BIG HUG from me when you meet her!!!