Monday, December 8, 2008

End of the year with Sunbeams

The year is coming to a close. All good things come to an end, right? One of those "good things" involves the class I teach at church. They are all four years old now and in January, will move up to the next class. I'll be getting a new group of three year olds, fresh from the nursery, and starting all over again. Back to the "sit on your chair, please." "no..with your bottom, NOT your face!" Sigh. While the new Sunbeams are cute, I always feel a bit sad at this point. For one thing, by the end of the year, the children are doing so much better at sitting and listening! And...for another...the biggest reason...I've gotten attached to them over the months, and really have grown to love them. Yesterday I told the children I'll miss being their teacher, but anytime they wanted to say hello and give me a hug, I would be happy for that. Lucy, who was feeling particularly grumpy since her best buddy, Cameron, wasn't there, stood up--hands on her hips and declared she didn't want to be in another class--she wanted to STAY IN THE FUN CLASS! How about that? Lucy usually acts like she doesn't want to be in my class at all, and here I find out she thinks we have fun! That's good to know. While secretly pleased, I assured her that her new class would be fun too.

Here are the Sunbeams, with Evelyn, the other Sunbeam teacher, but minus Michael (who was home sleeping--they have a new baby at their house), Treavor and Cameron. Can you spot Lucy The Cranky? ;-)

No comments: