Monday, December 15, 2008

BRRR!!!


Like most of the U.S., we're also in the midst of a deep freeze here. Usually our winters are rainy, with maybe a dusting of snow now and again. Here is my front yard on the left, and a photo of the garden and Tom's shop in the backyard. As you can see, there isn't a lot of snow, but it is cold. Very very cold! Temperatures are below freezing and will stay that way all this week and maybe most of next week as well. We're due more snow on Wednesday and Thursday. Yesterday, with the roads all icy, I thought church would be cancelled. But no...it wasn't. Tom thawed out the car and off we went, slipping and sliding! Tom likes to "test the road" and see where it is slippery, so riding with him in this kind of weather is an adventure, to say the least! I just hang on and hope for the best!

Someone made a snowman out of the snow that had blown up against the church.


Four of the children in my class were there, so I was glad we'd made the effort. However, they were SO wound up from the snow, that I didn't actually teach them the lesson ("How we can help at church") We did make a thank you note for the bishop and I tried to talk with them about how they can keep the church clean, and how they can be reverent when they walk down the hallways, but I don't think anything sunk in. They were too excited about SNOW SNOW SNOW and that's what they wanted to talk about. Sammy, for instance, told me how there had been a car on the hill on the drive to church and it was having trouble in the ice and snow. So his dad made their car "jump OVER the car in front!" Jump? Uh huh! This from the fellow who said his name isn't going to be Sammy when he growns up. And what is it going to be, I asked? ROCKET SAMMY! Well, of course! I should have known....

Mostly I entertained the children by drawing a snowman on the chalkboard (see? I made a snowman and didn't even have to wear mittens!) I had a craft for them to do: a wooden snowman ornament with a photo of each of them inside. They colored their snowmen with felt tip pens and had a good time doing that. Cameron said it looked like the snowman had eaten them because (giggle, giggle) they were in his tummy!

All of the children said they'd be making snowmen after they got home from church, but the wind was blowing, it was bitterly cold, and the snow is really too dry to pack. I hope they all stayed inside and stayed warm! BRRRRR! That's what I'm doing today!

No comments: