Friday, December 14, 2007

Christmas Stockings





Frieda, one of my sweet daughter-inlaws, decided she wanted to make Christmas stockings for her brother and his family this year. Frieda lives in Utah...and we don't, so I was answering her questions via email. A few days ago, I got one from her that was a cry for help! She wasn't able to find a sewing machine to borrow...and Jeff told her it would probably be "less stressful" to ask me to make them. I had to laugh. Less stressful? For whom? Nice to know that Jeff still thinks ol' Mom can handle things like this, I guess. I have a good Christmas stocking pattern from which I've made stockings for everyone in the family. The stockings are fun to make and I reallllly love Frieda...so...of course I said "YES!" It was kind of nice to have a project to jump into with both feet (a bit of stocking humor here. Ho ho ho?) The only problem was that usually I have a longer time to make the stockings, but with Christmas less than two weeks away, I felt the pressure to get them done and in the mail. Here are the photos of the stockings, which are now on their way to Utah. Frieda's brother, Jim, is into the outdoors: hunting, fishing, and camping. Rummaging through my stash, I found a pretty dark green print with bear, moose, deer, mountains etc on it. The block in the center right hand corner has a fish. Lori likes forest green, and among other things, dolphins! I knew I had some dolphin fabric, but of course I had to tear my sewing room apart to find it. My sewing room looks like a tornado hit it. If you ever watch Eleanor Burns, Quilt in Day tv show on PBS and you see her tossing the fabric bits and threads over her shoulder? I was in such a rush, I was doing the same thing. Lastly, there is Valerie, age 2. Valerie likes dogs. The only dog fabric I had was a 5 inch square from a "nickel" swap. Fortunately, I was able to wade through the rubble and find it without too much trouble. It was just enough for a small block with a cute dog in the center. The other block on Valerie's stocking is Santa. He doesn't have his eyes or nose yet--that is Frieda's part of this deal, to embellish the stockings. Here is a photo, though, of what the Santa face looks like on another stocking I made.

Phew! That was fun and I'm glad Frieda let me be a part of her holiday plotting. I hope she likes the stockings! She's promised a photo of Jim, Lori and Valerie with the finished stockings--which I will post here later if I can.

Now...it's time to go clean up the mess! I think Eleanor Burns has staff to clean up after her. Is it too late to put that on my Christmas list?

No comments: