Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Decorating for Christmas











The stockings are hung..not by the chimney, but from a shelf that holds Tom's grandmother's redwork coverlet (dated 1897, "To Minnie from Jesse M. Tooke") They As you can see, only four stockings this year. Liz has to work, Jeff and Frieda are giving her side of the family a turn, and Cait isn't speaking to us. Oh well! Jeff and Frieda are going to be here after Christmas, so I'm not complaining about that. I know we have to share. It will be lonely without Liz, though. BUT I have sent her a big box of goodies (no peeking until Christmas, Lizzy!) Not as good as having her within hugging distance, but at least she will have presents to open and will know her family loves her. (right, Liz? You know that, don't you? YOUR FAMILY LOVES YOU!!!) We are lucky to have Jim and Sheena living nearby.

With the Christmas tree up, other decorations out, it is looking pretty festive around here. This is my favorite time of the year and I love having the house decked out in it's holiday finery. Taz, our Manx cat, however, has no respect for things like "Christmas decorations." Ribbons on the packages under the tree are looking a bit chewed. Ornaments hung within paw-reach, end up being battered around on the floor. Oh, I never see her do it and she always gives me a wide eyed innocent stare, but I know she is the culprit! Her latest cat-evil involves a ceramic nativity my mother gave me. I had it on the top of a bookcase; Mary, Joseph and the baby Jesus looked very nice up there. A few nights ago, while Tom and I were sitting around in front of the tv, having a quiet evening, I happened to glance up and saw Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus and TAZ! How did she ever get way up there? I thought it was safe. Grumbling, I took her down, put things on the nearby shelf to block her path and thought everything was well. Not so. She found a way to get back up to her warm perch. I give up! Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus are now elsewhere. Taz has claimed that spot as hers. You can see Joseph in this picture, on a lower shelf. Who is the boss in this house? Obviously...the CAT!

No comments: