Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Quilt Guild Christmas Party


Last night was my quilt guild's annual Christmas party. Usually at one of these events, we all just sit around, talking and eating. This year, however, was a little different--and much more fun! The first thing when we walked in, we each had to chose from a list of quilt blocks, taking a small brown paper sack along with it. I picked "rail fence" and then had to find the table with the rail fence quilt block on it. Each of the 10 or so tables was decorated by a different volunteer and they were all festive and lovely (there was a contest for the best decorated table too, btw) I found my table and sat there, talking with the other ladies for a while. Then the activities began with a Show and Tell, for those people who have actually finished quilty or gifty projects for Christmas! I finished a quilt, but sent it away already. Oooh well! We all had a laugh with Susan, who held up a quilt top. She is making two quilts for her son's new daughters. She said they aren't finished because it isn't Christmas Eve yet! The one top is done, but the second is still "in pieces." Only 13 days to go, hope she makes it!

After Show and Tell, we had our feast. It is a potluck, so there was quite a variety of food--and lots of it. I took little spoonfuls of this, and that...and ended up with a plateful. Mmmmm....goooood!

When we finished our meal, it was game time! The first game was scrambled Christmas Carols, with each team being those at each table. This was not as easy as it may sound, the names of the carols were by first letter in the title. For instance, "LIS" is "Let it Snow." RTRNRD = Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. DYHWIH? Do You Hear What I Hear? And so on...20 of them. We had five minutes and did pretty well, but not well enough. When our hostess called "time!" we were still puzzling over three of the names.

After that, we divided into groups--our brown paper sacks (which had a Christmas ornament and fat quarter of fabric in it) also each had a number. I had #6. I gathered with the other 6's and we spread out across the room in order. The hostess passed out the words to TTDOC (The Twelve Days of Christmas) You guessed it, I was in the Six Geese A-laying group! We went around the room, with each group singing their part of the song and acting it out. The Four French Hens group did a can-can. My group was in a tizzy, what to do for geese a-laying? We could have all laid down, but most of us would have had a struggle to get back up again. I suggested we make arm wing motions, crouch down a bit and wiggle our backsides. Since no one else had a better idea--or any idea, for that matter, we went with it However, most of the people in our small group tried to be in the BACK of the group where they wouldn't be seen. That plan might have worked if there had been more than five of us! There was nowhere to hide. After the first time through, though, with us waving our backsides at the group and singing...my companions got bolder. We got a lot of laughter from our act. Later as I was going back to my chair, I overheard someone saying "when they squatted down and wiggled, I just about busted a gut!" Nice to know we were appreciated!

Gail brought along the small quilt sales items that members have been making. She has a booth that travels from craft fair to craft fair--all to make money for the guild. So, we had good company, good food, games, laughter, singing, AND a shopping opportunity! What could be better? All in all, it was probably the best Christmas party we've had in a long time. We even collected canned food, as well as mittens, scarves, knit hats and socks for the homeless. I am definitely in the holiday mood now, although I don't think I'll ever be able to sing "Six Geese a-laying" again without remembering the wing flapping and tushy wiggling of last night...

1 comment:

Liz said...

Sounds like a great time!