Friday, December 7, 2007

Home again



Ahh, there's no place like home! Tom and I took a trip this week, back to Oregon where his on-going radar project is. Due to floods here in the Pacific NW, I-5, the major highway we would have used, was closed in places, so we had a very long drive, there and back. The trip back was particularly unpleasant, as we had both heavy rain, fog and snow to contend with--fortunately, not all at once! To make matters worse--and traffic slower, the last few hours of the drive, we had the above weather conditions, but in the dark. The truckers were on the same highway, which is smaller than I-5, so their game of leapfrog with each other was even more annoying than it would be with an additional lane or two in there. Never mind...we are home...and I intend on staying here for a while! I have Christmas gifts to wrap and mail--quilts to quilt and other things to keep me busy. Tom will probably have to go back again in January. Maybe by then I'll feel like leaving our cosy house and going with him (he does get lonely, poor fellow)

We stayed in a nicer hotel this time, one with an exercise room and a pool. I had fun playing with the torture devices: the treadmill, exercise bike, and one that Tom says is called an "eliptical" machine. I used that one for about 15 minutes and when I got off, my legs had all the strength of a couple of used rubber bands.

The job Tom was doing took longer than he thought, so as a result, I did spend a lot of time in the hotel. I'd taken along a stitchery project, so I had something to do. Cable tv, a rare treat, has--after several such trips with Tom to different places, lost it's novelty. Alas! Then with Tom leaving in the morning, telling me he'd be back in an "hour," I couldn't exactly go wandering off! The "hour" always turned into at least six. I should have known! Things have a way of becoming more complicated than one thinks they will. So...I had a lot of time all by myself in the hotel room.

For my birthday, however, Tom finished up by 3 pm., came rushing in the door and said, "Let's go!" I put my redwork project down and asked, "Where?" He said, "To the quilt shop, of course!" I spent a lovely 45 minutes wandering around there while Tom investigated some of the other shops nearby. Nice man. I think I'll keep him...

2 comments:

Liz said...

I'm glad you both made it home safely with that awful weather.

Yvonne said...

Looks like the weather was better in New York! Great photos on your blog, Lizzy. Did you see the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center?