Saturday, December 22, 2007

Teaching Someone to Quilt



Frieda and Jeff will be here after Christmas, for about a week, and while they are here, Frieda wants me to teach her how to make a baby quilt. Not, unfortunately, for her (big sigh from a Grandma-wanna-be) but rather for a friend who just had a baby this month. Here are two photos of baby quilt tops I made this week. They are from a pattern from one of the quilt books by Ursula Reikes called "Quick Quilts for Baby, Easy as ABC." I have three of her books and in the decade or so that I've been using the patterns from them, the books have suffered. Pages have come unglued and rather than lose them, I finally took the books apart and put the pages in plastic sleeves, and stuck them all in a big notebook. This pattern is called "Illinois Road." It's simple to make, just squares and strips that get cut into squares after being sewn together. I have quite a big stash of cute baby fabric, so it won't be a problem for Frieda to "shop my stash" and come up with the ingredients for a cute quilt.

Meanwhile, I've been asking all my cyber quilt buddies this question, "What do you wish you'd known when you first started quilting?" Any quilters who might stumble across this blog and be reading it, what is your answer to that question?

3 comments:

Juryizstillout said...

Hi, Welcome to the ring!

Here's an easy answer: how to straighten fabric. I know, it sounds so easy, but get off just a bit, and you have strips like a drunken sailor.

Good question!

Yvonne said...

Thanks for your input, Beth. I'll add that to the list of tips I'm putting in Frieda's notebook. Along with the pattern she'll be doing. Should be fun!

Idaho Quilter said...

Sew a 1/4 seam, cut straight, and pin.